Hwange NP, Zimbabwe
I’ve been in Zimbabwe since Monday, and have had no connectivity via either cellular or Wi-Fi. Obviously, it’s very hard to keep up a blog when you don’t have the ability to connect to the Internet. I don’t really know when the next time will be that I will be able to post anything.
I will post something now as I am again connected. I have some really good photos and videos that I hope to share.
But Zimbabwe is a bit of a mess, a work in progress. Our camp was beautiful, and they took good care of us, but getting to it, and in and out of it, had its challenges. We were in a national park, but the roads are horrendous, as they apparently are in much of Zimbabwe. Because our drivers were stopping along the way every few moments for rocks and bumps, and crevices in the road, we were not able to cover as much territory in a game drive as we would have if the roads were in better shape. Plus, we all got tossed around in the back of the rig like socks in a dryer.
We ended up with a total of four trips in and out of the park because of local visits to a village and a school, and coming and going. That was really interesting, but a long, bumpy drive.
We saw a lot of elephants, but that’s the only animal that we have seen that’s larger than an impala. The heat here is virtually intolerable. That means that the animals spend their days trying to hide in cooler areas, such as the thick bush. So this has not been the most comfortable visit.
UPDATE
We are now in Zambia, so I’m posting this from our new camp at the confluence of the Lufupa River and the Kafue River.
I’ll post more photos as I can. The service is intermittent and very slow when it does work.
Hope you are all as well as I am, even if I’m a bit overheated.
More about Zambia in my next post. It’s stunningly beautiful here.
Cheers,
Jay
Ready for a game drive













